This week I had my friends Barbara and Rachel visiting me from Ireland. I can't tell you how nice it was to see two familiar faces! While I'm loving living out here, it can also be incredibly tough and lonely, at least while I settle in (more on this in later blog posts). Seeing them was just what I needed to nurse my homesickness and also to make me fall in love with NYC again by doing some sightseeing with them. I have compiled a list of what I think are the BEST spots for the perfect shot for the gram and I hope this may help some of you who are looking to go to New York and are feeling a bit overwhelmed about where to start.
1. Top of the Rock
Choosing a skyscraper to climb in itself can be a bit daunting. You have the Empire State Building, the new One World Trade Center and my personal favourite, The Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock). Having gone up all of them, I can confirm that TOPR has the best view of NYC. From one side, you have the incredible view of Midtown Manhattan, with huge buildings including The Empire State, The Chrysler Building, Bank of America Tower, MetLife, to name a few. It really shows how dense and compact the city is, with skyscrapers after skyscrapers right beside each other; the word concrete jungle really comes to mind! Then on the other side you have a view of Central Park and this is what really makes this observation deck the most unique out of all 3 skyscrapers. What's also cool about The Rockefeller Center is that it's an art-deco skyscraper built in the 1930s at the height of The Great Depression. Mr Rockefeller took a huge risk in investing in this building and it surely paid off, with it being one of the biggest tourist attractions in the city as well as being home to NBC studios which hosts Saturday Night Live and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. It's also famous for the iconic photograph "Lunch atop a Skyscraper" of builders sitting on a beam in the sky during construction of the building (below).
Even though this is quite a touristy thing to do, it's probably one of my favourite things to do in NYC that I even do when I'm not sightseeing. Walking this bridge last year made me think 'wow I would love to live here.' The bridge is just a 25 minute walk and I suggest getting the subway out to Dumbo and walking it back to Manhattan, as that side has the best view. The city looks surreal when you take a step back and view it from afar and this makes it a fantastic spot for pictures.
3. Dumbo, Brooklyn
Speaking about taking in the view of Manhattan from afar, you can't cross the Brooklyn Bridge without hitting Dumbo. Dumbo is probably the tiniest little neighbourhood in Brooklyn and just comprises of a few blocks filled with coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries and unique boutiques. The view from here is insane, not only can you see Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge (and is also the spot for getting on the bridge) but it's also home to the famous Instagram spot with the Manhattan Bridge.
4. The Manhattan Bridge
While we're on the topic of the Manhattan Bridge, this is also a great spot for pictures. Particularly if you're looking for something less touristy with a lot less people. This bridge has been practically empty any time I have walked it and if swarms of tourists scare you, this may be more suited for you. This bridge provides a unique view of Downtown Manhattan and Chinatown and though most of it is covered by a wired fencing, there's holes in the fencing placed conveniently throughout and they allow you to get some amazing shots of the city. You can also see the Brooklyn Bridge from here.
5. Central Park
Central Park is a must-do and is loved by both tourists and resident New Yorkers. It's a refuge of peace and tranquility amidst all the chaos of the city and for this, it's one of my favourite spots. Central Park is huge and can also be a bit overwhelming in terms of where to start. The best thing to do is be spontaneous about this one, you're probably going to Central Park to relax and escape the madness and a picture anywhere in the park will be amazing. But there's a few key locations: Gapstow Bridge, Bethesda Fountain, The Reservoir and The Loeb Boathouse (where you can take a boat through the lake in the Summer!)
6. The MET Museum
New York is home to tons of amazing museums such as The Guggenheim, The Museum of Modern Art, The Whitney Museum, American National History Museum, to name a few. But The MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) still remains my favourite. It's MASSIVE and would probably take you a full day or two to view every single thing. The architecture is beautiful and there's also the largest variety of art you'll probably ever see in any Museum, from artefacts from Ancient Egypt and Asia to classic European Renaissance to Post-Modernism and also many pop-up exhibitions. It's also home to many lavish celebrity parties, has been used as a filming location for various films and TV shows (The Devil Wears Prada and Gossip Girl to name a few) and also has a rooftop with incredible views of the city which you can venture to in Spring/Summer. Not only do you get a great day out but also the perfect Instagram on the iconic steps of the MET.
7. The West Village/Greenwich Village
This is my absolute favourite part of New York! The West Village or Greenwich Village is a historic neighbourhood in the city featuring the classic New York brownstone apartments and it's by far the most beautiful area in the city. It's also extremely quiet and peaceful, which makes it hard to believe that it's in Manhattan and just a short subway ride away from Midtown. You won't find many tourists here, and that's why I love it. The old-time New Yorkers live here and also some celebrities. It's also home to Carrie Bradshaw's apartment and Magnolia Bakery (from Sex and the City) and the Friends apartment, which for me, tops it all off! Bleecker street is also home to a ton of Jazz bars, speakeasy bars and amazing restaurants. It was here that I had my first NY celebrity encounter with Ryan Seacrest. I could walk here every day and not get bored of it, and I can't wait to see it in the Summer. If people ask me what's one thing that they MUST do in New York, it's the West Village so definitely check it out!
Tom






















Some great tips! Such an amazing trip, and now amazing photos to top it all off ��
ReplyDeleteThanks Raquelle :) glad you enjoyed the trip and I miss you already!
Delete