Sunday, 16 April 2017

NEW BLOG, NEW ROOM!



Hello There!

A blog is something that has always been at the forefront of my mind. In the past year or two, I've taken a huge interest in photography and Instagram. It's a way for me to unwind, escape, and also express myself.


Anyone who knows me or follows my Instagram, knows I have a lot of interests, too many in fact. My content has never had any consistency, and I have purposely never tried to change this. Because of this, and the fact that I also take too many photos (most which never get posted), I often got told by friends to start a blog, which I always shrugged off. Well, now here I am!

For the past two weeks, I have been doing up my whole room. Something which was well overdue, as my room had been the exact same since we moved into this house, over 10 years ago. I got new floors, a new bed, new desk, new paint, new everything! With my new room, and my New Years resolution of travelling which I have lived up to, I thought of no better time to start this blog. 

I hope you enjoy the blog and hope this post provides some kind of help for any that are looking to do some interior work in their own room/house :)

This was the before:



Before I got new floors in, I had carpet. I can't tell you how much wear and tear this carpet had gone through. I didn't think to take a "before" picture until after I ripped the carpet out, but maybe this was for the best! This was taken just before the floors were put in, and everything was cleared out. To paint a not-so-pretty picture for you, the previous furniture in the room consisted of old, orange pinewood which was falling apart.



Voila, the new floor. This is what pulled the whole room together, and I'm delighted with it! 






From the start, I visualised a white & grey, minimalist, Scandinavian look for the room. This is what I want my future home to look like. I love this look. It makes the room look big, bright and clean. However, I did still want to make the room look cosy and homey. Sometimes, the minimalist look can look too cold and almost industrial. This was remedied with plenty of pillows, candles, a rug and plants:





I opted for succulent and desert plants, as they go with the general aesthetic of the room and they're also notoriously hard to kill, which means that if I forget to water them (which I will), they'll be okay.

I got one of the Ikea display shelves (below), facing the end of my bed. This was mainly for the TV and Playstation. A man cave is not complete without those two.




Lastly, I needed a desk or creative space in which to work on. This is probably my favourite part of the room.




Yet, I don't seem to be using the desk, as the bed is far too comfy...





If you're wondering where to buy any of these items, about 90% are Ikea. The only things that aren't are the curtains (Harry Corry), the world map (Amazon), the terrariums (TK Maxx) and the copper tea light holder (Penneys/Primark).

I hope you enjoyed my first blog post, and stay tuned for my upcoming travel posts :)

Tom.



9 comments:

  1. Love it! And congrats for taking the first step babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually seriously in love with your new room though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mamita, this is great! Doyum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. So creative ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your first blog post.
    Can't wait for the next one, the very best of luck buddy xxx

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ TOMÁS QUINN. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign